Sunday, May 1, 2011

Suomen


I know it's been almost a year since the Millennium Youth Camp and it's a bit late to post this. But, it's better late than never. 

I've always loved to travel but don't get much chance. Rarely does my family travel to places together and well, we're "too young" to travel with friends and not them. And it ends up boring most times. Kind of a sad story that way, until last year when I got selected for this camp in Finland. It was a dream come true in every respect. It was my first ever trip to another continent and my first trip to another country alone. I wont talk science and make it boring for you, nor will the photos completely show you what we did during the camp. But if you want to, you can check out the Official Flickr Page of the camp.

It was a summer camp and we visited when Finland gets relatively warmer. Yes, relatively! For me, it was freezing cold. Even three layers of clothes couldn't keep me warm when outdoors. I'm just kidding. It wasn't that bad but it was a little bit too cold for me to call it summer. Other than that, it's a beautiful place. What I expected was a very urban place with skyscrapers and everything. But the first thing you'll notice is the greenery. Miles and miles of lush green fields, forests, lakes and the clean and cool breeze. Yet, it's technologically very much advanced and a very developed country. A lesson everyone should learn. It's not a conclusion just by first sight.

I must have seen the place more through the viewfinder during the camp. I just didn't want to miss out on anything. I wanted to capture every moment in '35mm'. But my first day at the campsite was the longest day in my life. Literally. We were having this event where we played some funny games and did some jolly work in groups and got to know each other. It was very sunny outside and when I looked at my watch, it was 9pm in the "night". That's when I realized the days are longer during summer in Finland. It was a good thing for us as we reach back at our campsite late in the evening after our daily agenda. So, we still have a lot of time to maybe explore the place, go swimming or play twister(African Twister as we call it :D).

The one thing we all(well almost everyone) enjoyed alike was the sauna and swimming in the freezing lake with a few seconds in between (:P) and the barbeque and the singing around the campfire. It was an experience I could have otherwise just dreamt of. I was very lucky to be a part of MYC 2010. I had the time of my life there. It's quite late but I'd like to thank Maija Aksela and all the camp organizers and the guides for the fun time we had back there.(I know it sounds like a cheesy dialogue in some TV reality show, but this I really mean it) It has had a big influence in me.

"The world is round and the place which may seem like the end may also be the beginning" -Ivy Baker Priest