Saturday, March 19, 2011

Supermoon

Night photography on a semi-pro or a point-and-shoot digital camera has always been a Himalayan task for me. Either the photos are out of focus or too exposed. Or if I'm trying to take a picture of people, they always end up looking like monsters.Yep, I'm talking about red eyes. I don't like using flash and neither can I take long exposure pictures. 1. I don't have a tripod, 2. My hands are too shaky(especially when I'm switching to long exposures) and 3. I don't have a DSLR. Why I'm saying all this is 'cause I was skeptic about the fact that photography is not always about having an EOS 1D or Telephoto lens or professional accessories.

 A famous award winning photo by a war photographer came from an iPhone and a 10¢ app. Anyone can take beautiful pictures. It's about being at the right place at the right time and having a different perspective.

I thought I'd give it another try anyway. Lucky for me, today is March 19 2011. What's so special about it? It's the day our moon would come to a distance of 221,559 miles from earth. Biggest full moon in 18 years.
With a lot of excitement I went out to see how big the "supermoon" is. Rather disappointing. It was not as big as I thought it would be. I literally pushed my Olympus C-760 (6.3-63mm) to it's limits. Yeah, nothing extra-ordinary came out, but as I said, all I had was a semi-pro cam and 2 very shaky hands. I even put a red-filter(digitally) for a shot and it looked a little scary. Devilish. Would it turn out to be one? Let's wait n see.